I made the comment in my previous entry that 95% of the e-mail I get is spam. That was purely an estimate that I was making. We recently upgraded our Exchange Server from 5.5 to 2003. Our network admin recently sent this as part of a status message to the entire company.
- Since late night on February 26th, XXXXX has had 231,047 emails attempted to be delivered to it.
- 207,339 of them were rejected immediately because they came from known SPAMMERS
- That translates to 89.74% of all mail sent to XXXXX coming from SPAMMERS.
- Of the 23,708 messages that were accepted by the mail server
- 568 were deleted because they contained a virus.
- That translates to 2.40% of all deliverable mail contained a virus or trojan.
So, 95% may have been a little higher than reality. Still, the percentage is very high. We can only hope that the problem has a reasonable resolution in the near future.